Other highlights include:
- a “noble fragment” from the Gutenberg Bible
- Kaikoku heidan (The Military Defence of a Maritime Nation) by Hayashi Shihei, a revolutionary text that critiqued the Japanese shogunate’s isolationism
- Shakespeare’s Comedies, Histories and Tragedies, presented in its second folio edition (1632)
- a first edition of Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations with Napoleon’s manuscript notes, revealing an unguarded admiration for the famous economist
- one of the precious few surviving leaves from Charles Dickens’s draft of the Pickwick Papers, with annotations in the author’s distinctive hand
The selection also includes several original illustrations including the delicate creations of Kay Nielsen’s for In Powder and Crinoline by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch in 1913.], and two ink illustrations by E. H. Shepard from chapter five of Winnie-the-Pooh (”In which Piglet meets a Heffalump”).
“We are delighted to be participating in Frieze Masters Seoul for the first time this year," said Ben Houston, Director of Sales at Peter Harrington. "We have exhibited at our home fair, Freize Masters London, for several years now, and have found it presents an unparalleled opportunity to connect with global collectors with very exacting tastes. We expect Frieze Seoul to be another exciting platform that will allow us to develop and deepen our connections to the discerning collector market in Asia,”