Charles Bukowski Archive of Signed First Editions, Original Art, and Letters to Auction
Los Angeles – An archive belonging to poet Charles Bukowski will be auctioned by Nate D. Sanders Auctions on December 8, 2022. Interested bidders may participate in the auction online.
The archive features several signed first editions, Christmas cards, a large signed photo, check signed, and original art and doodles, including a doodle of his dog and several ''signature'' doodles of a man on a toilet. The items were given by Bukowski to his close friend, Jeff ''Woody'' Copland, who, like Bukowski, was a race horse enthusiast, with the two originally meeting at the tracks. Copland was even a pallbearer at Bukowski's funeral in 1994, and Bukowski dedicated his book of poetry, ''You Get So Alone At Times That it Just Makes Sense,'' to Copland.
* Limited edition of ''Crucifix in a Deathhand: New Poems, 1963-1965'', signed by Bukowski with a personal inscription on the half-title page: ''For Jeff Copland - I hope these early poems are readable for you. I was in my 'lyrical stage' then. Anyhow, the paper is supposed to last 2,000 years. / Hank Charles Bukowski / [hand-drawn doodle] / p.s. - youse iz a good guy...'' New Orleans: Loujon Press, 1965, one of 3,100 copies, with etchings by Noel Rockmore, deckled edges and illustrated paper covers. Measures 8.5'' x 12.5'' Some staining to covers and front endpaper, and split to seam of cover, else near fine condition.
* Signed copy of ''Poems Written Before Jumping Out of an 8-Story Window'', penned on title page: ''For Jeff Copland / I didn't jump but I often feel like it. / Hank Charles Bukowski / [hand-drawn doodle]''. Salt Lake City: Litmus, Inc., 1975 noted as the ''first edition with correspondence / second printing''. Measures 5.375'' x 8.25''. Tearing to front paper cover, else very good plus.
* Signed first edition of ''The Day It Snowed in L.A.'', inscribed by Bukowski on the title page: ''For Jeff Copland -- May the snow of luck fall upon you. / Hank Charles Bukowski / [hand-drawn doodle]''. Measures 5.5'' x 8.5''. Short tear to front paper cover and some staining, overall in very good condition.
* Signed copy of ''Relentless as the Tarantula'', signed on the front free endpaper, ''For Jeff Copland - Who does it the hard way with good style. / Hank Charles Bukowski / [hand-drawn doodle]''. Detroit: Planet Detroit Chapbooks, 1986. Measures 5.5'' x 8.5'' with paper covers. Light wear, overall in very good condition.
* Signed limited edition of ''A Visitor Complains of My Disenfranchise'', inscribed by Bukowski on the title page: ''For Jeff Copland / Hank Charles Bukowski / [hand-drawn doodle]''. Los Angeles: Illuminati, 1987, limited edition of 225. Measures 3.75'' x 9.125'' wrapped in black paper covers, with deckled edges. Interior pages separated from staple, small hole on front cover and light wear, overall in very good condition.
Additional information on the archive can be found here.