Astonishing Grateful Dead Memorabilia To Be Auctioned
UNION, ILL. (MAR. 2015)—A once-in-a-lifetime auction is bringing a most extraordinary private collection of Grateful Dead memorabilia to the Chicago area. Amid the high energy generated by the band’s forthcoming “Fare Thee Well” shows this summer at Soldier Field, former employees and friends of the Dead are presenting The Grateful Dead Family Jubilee Auction on April 11-12, 2015.
Hosted 50 miles northwest of Chicago at Donley Auction Services in Union, Ill., the auction features artifacts spanning the entire career of the legendary American band, representing an unstoppable cultural revolution that they boldly unleashed on the world. From business documents, to previously unseen photographs, to rare vintage posters, the auction’s collection offers collectors a chance at owning intimate pieces of the band’s history.
Among the unique offerings:
- The original written lyrics of “Fire on the Mountain”, the original written draft of the lyrics to “He’s Gone.”
- The kitchen table from the Grateful Dead’s office in San Rafael, Calif. where the band gathered to drink coffee and consider the day.
- Personal objects, including Jerry Garcia’s Colt .25 pistol.
- An unparalleled collection of original Rick Griffin and Stanley Mouse artwork.
- The “Soto List” - documentation of the band’s shows that lead to the creation of one of the first internet databases.
On April 11-12, 2015, Donley Auction Services, will conduct a live, juried auction of these remarkable objects, and many, many more, with online and phone bidding (and a small group of invite-only VIP bidders). Auction details available at www.gratefuldeadchicago.auction.