Bookfinder.com, an online price comparison tool for books, releases an annual list of their most searched for out-of-print books. The 2014 list was just unveiled and it holds a few familiar names--and a few surprises as well. For years, Madonna’s book Sex topped the list, however the queen was toppled from her crown this year by not just one, but two other titles.
Here are the top ten most searched for books on Bookfinder.com in descending order:
10) Collector’s Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols by Charles W. Clawson (considered “the Bible” of Colt Model 1911 handguns, which were produced for 34 years and still collected today).
9) 365 Bedtime Stories by Nan Gilbert (a children’s book first published in 1955 containing a story for each day of the year about the inhabitants of “What-a-Jolly Street”).
8) On the Nature and Existence of God by Richard M. Gale (first published in 1991, a reaction to the theism of the 1980s).
7) The Road We Are Traveling: 1914-1942 by Stuart Chase (first published in 1942, featuring a social and political analysis of early to mid 20th-century America and seeing a resurgence in popularity after a TV mention by Glenn Beck).
6) The Colorado Kid by Stephen King (first published in 2005 for the Hard Case Crime imprint and available in paperback only).
5) Rage by Stephen King (first published in 1977 and the first of King’s Richard Bachman novels. King purposefully let Rage go out of print, where it remains to this day, but is available as part of The Bachman Books collection).
4) The Body by Stephen King (this story is available in the Different Seasons collection and serves as the inspiration for the classic film “Stand By Me.”)
3) Sex by Madonna (first published in 1992 and notable both for its impressive sales and impressive controversy. The boundary-pushing book was allowed to go out of print, where it became one of the most sought after books of all time in the second-hand market. Madonna has since moved on to new phases of her career, making a reprint unlikely anytime in the near future).
2) Lovely Reed: An Enthusiast’s Guide to Building Bamboo Fly Rods by Jack Howell (yep, a book about building bamboo fishing poles was more sought after than Madonna’s book about sex. Lovely Reed was first published in 1998).
1) On the Psychology of Military Incompetence by Norman F. Dixon (first published in 1976, this book surveys 100 years of military inefficiency from the Crimean War through World War II).