2007 NYC Book Fairs
The biggest week in the book world centers on
the New York Antiquarian Book Fair, the most prestigious
and longest running book fair in the United States. The show
has inspired two other fairs during the same weekend. Here's Fine
Books & Collections' exclusive look at some of the books
and autographs on display in New York on April 19 to 22,
Visit these websites
for more information on the fairs: ABAA
, and PADA
ABAA (Agvent – Lesser)
291 Linden Road
Mertztown, PA 19539
Catlin, George. Illustrations
of the Manners, Customers, * Condition of the North
American Indians. With Letters and Notes…
London: Chatto & Windus 1876. The
First Edition of this classic with illustrations printed
in color. Two small quarto volumes (6-1/8” x 10-1/8”)
bound in the original red cloth with gilt-decorated horsemen
and lettering against a red and black background recently
rebacked with sympathetic red morocco spines with gilt-lettering
and decorations and new endpapers. Complete: viii, 264; viii,
266 pages. Illustrated with 180 superb color plates containing
360 images and a folding map, with the usual plate numbering
There was a prior edition with hand-colored
plates, but it exists in very few copies and is seldom offered
on the market. When it is it usually commands upwards of
$30,000. This edition is generally considered to be the handsomest
19th century edition of Catlin’s important book. Catlin
was the first astute and sympathetic artist to observe and
accurately portray Native Americans.
Howes C241; Sabin 11536 (1841 edition);
Streeter 1805 (1841); Wagner-Camp 84 (1841+ editions); Wheat,
TRANSMISISIPPI WEST 84: “Offers an excellent picture
of the Indian situation at the opening of the 19th century’s
fourth decade.” Jenkins, A FULL HOWES:
“Catlin’s record of Indian life was the first
and freshest account of the vanishing American Indians as
they actually lived and remains one of the chief sources
for all later knowledge of the North American Indians.” Early
library stamp on title page of second volume and old ink
numbers on verso of title pages. Plates and text bright and
fresh with the bindings quite nice. Near Fine set.
85 Old Mill River Rd.
Pound Ridge, NY 10576
[Disney, Walt]. Our
Friend the Atom by Heinz Haber, with an introduction
by Walt Disney. NY: Simon & Schuster (1956). 4to,
cloth backed pictorial boards, 165p., slightest of cover
soil else fine in slightly worn dustwrapper. First edition.
Designed to teach children about the wonders of the
atom and to get them excited about studying science
and nuclear physics, it is profusely illustrated with
color lithos by 21 Disney artists led by Paul Hartley.
Haber, like Werner von Braun, was a German astrophysicist
who served in the German Luftwaffe during World War
II. In the U.S. he became the chief Science Consultant
of Disney Studios helping Disney to produce the motion
picture of Our Friend the Atom that
was to run in the Tomorrow Land section of Disneyland.
This copy is inscribed by Disney to Randy Blair and
also signed on the title-page by Haber!
+49 241 30872
[Incunabulum] Albumasar. Introductorium in astronomiam octo continens libros partials.
Augsburg: Erhard Ratdolt, 7th of February, 1489.
70 unnumbered leaves, Gothic type, 40
- 41 lines, 46 allegorical woodcuts in the text, 115 woodcut
initials, rubricated in red throughout. Signatures: a–h8; i6. Modern full vellum, small
4° (213 by 158 mm).
First Edition. Translated from the Arabic
by Hermannus Dalmata. Abu Ma’shar Ja’far ben
Muhammed al-Balkhi (787–886), the most renowned astrologer
of the Arabic world, was part of a group of pro-Persian intellectuals
who served the Caliph al-Ma’mun (813–833) in
Baghdad. The present work is a translation of his Great
Introduction to the Science of Astrology written in
849–50 and the single most important source of Aristotle’s
theories of nature for European scholars. The allegorical
half-page woodcuts represent the Sun, Moon, the Signs of
Zodiac, a zonal world map, a diagram of the Aspects, and
a diagram of the Twelve Houses. The first leaf with three
line title and 22 contemporary handwritten lines in red and
black representing the signs of the planets and the signs
of Zodiac. Title and three subsequent leaves with brief repairs.
A very good copy with wide margins.
Hain-C. 612; GW 840; Goff A 359; BMC
II, 382 (IA 6683); Proctor 1880; Schreiber 3075; Essling
524; Klebs 38.1; Stillwell A 326; IGI 264; Oates 959; Zinner
346; Pellechet 415; Fairfax Murray, German 25; Rosenthal,
Incunabula Typographica 54.
+43 409 61 90 0
The Russian “Gutenberg” Bible.
The first Bible printed in Cyrillic
[Ostrog Bible. the Russian
“Gutenberg” Bible. The first Bible printed in
Cyrillic]. Biblia sirech knigy vetkhago
i novago zaveta po iazyku [...]. Ostrog: Ivan Fedorov, 12 August 1581. Folio.
628 ff. With woodcut title border, the engraved arms of Konstantyn
Ostrozhky on reverse of title, engraved initials and tail-pieces
throughout and woodcut printer’s device on last page.
Title, sub-headings and tables printed in red and black.
Contemporary brown calf, spine gilt in five compartments,
figural corner pieces (4 evangelists) and central gilt stamp
depicting the birth (front) and crucifixion (back cover)
of the Christ.
First edition of the first Bible printed
in Cyrillic type, a complete copy with stunning provenance.
Printed by Ivan Fedorow, “founder of book printing
and book publishing in Russia and Ukraine,” who left
Lemberg and entered the service of the Prince of Ostrog.
Konstantyn Ostrozhky was the most powerful magnate in Volhynia,
one of the most influential figures in the Lithuanian-Ruthenian
state and even a candidate for the Muscovite throne after
the death of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich, the last member of the
Riurykide dynasty, in 1598. The Ostrog Bible was prepared
under the auspices of Konstantyn, who obtained from Moscow
a copy of the manuscript Bible of Gennadius. He also collected
Greek and Slavonic manuscripts, and with the help of “competent
assistants…he tested the Slavonic text by the Greek
and sometimes by the Latin, and substituted modern expressions
for those which were obsolete or unintelligible, and corrected
errors” (Darlow and Moule).
This landmark of Russian printing served
as a model for further Russian publications of the Bible
and was of enormous significance for Orthodox education,
which had to resist strong Catholic pressure in Ukraine and
Belarus. The publication of this work “did in fact
lay new intellectual foundations fur cultural awakening and
for growth in scholastic endeavors where communities in Russia
were desirous of education” (William K. Medlin,
“Cultural Crisis in Orthodox Russia in the Sixteenth
and Seventeenth Centuries as a Problem in Education and Social
Change.” In History of Education
Quarterly, vol. 9, no. 1 (Spring 1969), p. 37). “The
importance of the first printed Cyrillic Bible can hardly
be overestimated. Prince Ostrogski sent copies to Pope Gregory
XIII and Tsar Ivan the Terrible.” Our copy was owned
by Hedeon Balaban (1569–1607), Bishop of Lviv (Lemberg)
and one of the central figures in the history of the Russian
orthodox church, bearing his autograph entry, dated December
17, 1586. Only ten years later, Bishop Balaban was to deny
the supremacy of the Pope and join Prince Konstantyn Ostrozhky
at the 1596 Council of Berestia in opposing the union with
the Catholic Church. He was excommunicated by Metropolite
Mychajlo Rahoza in the very same year, but he held fast to
this decision until his death. Balaban became the Exarch
of the Patriarch of Alexandria, in which position he remained
until his death. In 1671 the book came into the possession
of the monk Samuel of Lviv. In 1714 the book turned up in
the South of Ukraine, and then in Maramures (Romania), whence
we acquired it.
According to our knowledge, this is
the only complete copy to appear in trade (or at auction)
during the past decades. The last copy sold (Valuable Russian Books and Manuscripts, Christie’s,
30 Nov. 2006, lot 3,
£22,800) lacked one page, and several leaves with missing
text were supplied in manuscript, as was the case with all
copies we managed to trace (including several in institutional
libraries). Richly gilt binding with traces of restoration
to corners and spine ends; a few leaves professionally remargined
without touching text or loss to letters. Overall an extraordinarily
good copy in its first binding with important provenance;
one of the best-preserved copies in comparison with the numerous
ones in institutional possession, and certainly the finest
available from private hands for a very long time.
Darlow and Moule 8370. Cyrillic Books
35. Adams B 1204 (Trinity and University Library copies both
incomplete). British Library Humanities C.17.b.1. (wanting
the last leaf) and G.12203 (Tsar Ivan the Terrible’s
500 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02118
Ferrerio, Pietro and Giovanni Battista
Falda. Two major works by Ferrerio and Falda, the “Palazzi di Roma”
(in two parts) and “Li giardini
di Roma,” bound together in fine contemporary
Roman red morocco.
Oblong folio. Fine contemporary Roman
red morocco gilt, with inner fillets with floral cornerpieces,
on both covers. A.e.g. Slightly rubbed at spine; occasional
very light foxing; a very handsome copy. Contents as follows:
1. Palazzi di Roma
de più celebri architetti. Disegnati da
Pietro Ferrerio pittore et architetto. Libro Primo.
[Falda, Giovanni-Battista. Nuovi disegni dell’architetture,
e piante de’ Palazzi di Roma de’ più celebri
architetti disegnati et intagliati da Gio. Battista
Falda.... Libro secondo.] I: Engraved title incorporating
dedication and 42 etched and engraved plates; II: Engraved
title incorporating dedication and 59 etched and engraved
plates. This set is a rare early issue, with plates
before numbers (though after the addition of the mention
“Libro primo” and “Libro secondo” on
the title pages, which had not appeared in the first issue).
It also contains the correct complement of 103 plates (including
titles) which characterizes the first issue; in contrast,
later issues contain a total of 105, including two plates
added by Domenico de’ Rossi to the second book after
“This is the first publication
to provide systematic, measured and uniformly scaled illustrations
of Roman palaces built in the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth
centuries. By focusing exclusively on the palace, this book
becomes a compendium of exempla, not only illustrating the
houses of a very special city, but also establishing the
typology of the residential palace.... Ferrerio’s collection
of palace façades and plans provided an important
model for what became a distinct type of publication....
This trendsetting book on Roman palaces is divided into two
parts. Ferrerio was the author of most of the illustrations
in the first part, except for one sheet engraved by Giovanni
Battista Falda, who was also responsible for forty of the
sixty sheets of the second part. While Falda’s work
and successful career as an engraver associated with the
Roman published Giovanni Giacomo de’ Rossi have been
amply documented, much less is known about Ferrerio, who
seems to have practiced as an architect and engraver, and
whose principal claim to recognition is this album of palace
Gio. Jacomo Rossi/ Gio. Giacomo de’
Rossi [before 1691]. Millard IV.37; Cicognara 3719; Fowler
120; Berlin 2665; Besterman: Old Art Books 40; Brunet
II.1235; Graesse II.573
2. Li giardini di
Roma con le loro piante alzate e vedute in prospettiva.
21 through-numbered etched and engraved plates, including
engraved title and magnificent allegorical dedication
leaf, by Giovanni Battista Manelli after Arnold van
Westerhout, of the garden of the “Roman Hesperides.” Both
artistically and historically, a very important publication
on nine of the most celebrated gardens of Rome—at
the Vatican and Quirinal palaces, and the villas Borghese,
Medici, Pamphili, Mattei, Farnese, Ludovisi and Savelli-Peretti—of
which only three survive in anything resembling their
original state. The extremely accurate and exquisite
plates, which alternately present bird’s-eye views
and prospects, are by both Falda and Simone Felice.
Roma (Gio. Giacomo de’ Rossi)
[circa or post 1683]. Berlin 3492; Olschki 16895; Brunet
II.1172; Graesse II.549
424 Riverside Drive
Fairfield, CT 06824
[The Foundations of Modern Chemistry].
Lavoisier, Antoine-Laurent de. Traité
élémentaire de chimie, présenté
dans un ordre nouveau et d’après les découvertes
modernes; avec figures [A Treatise on Elementary Chemistry,
presented in a new order and according to the recent discoveries].
Paris: Chez Cuchet, 1789. Volume 1: half title + TP + v-xliv
+ -322 + 2 folding tables; Volume 2: half title + TP +
v-viii + --653 + - = Fautes à Corriger
+ 13 folding engraved plates, Octavo. First edition, Second
This is the so-called second issue of
the first edition in two volumes. The first “trial”
issue, in one volume, arranges material slightly differently
and is known in only two copies. This second issue contains
ten tables and several extracts from the registers of the
Académie des Sciences and other learned societies
not included in the single volume issue—making this
in fact the first complete edition and the one noted in Printing and the Mind of Man.
With the thirteen copperplate illustrations
signed ‘Paulze Lavoisier Sculp(sit)’ that were
drawn and engraved by the author’s wife, Marie Anne
Pierrette Paulze Lavoisier, who was a highly skilled draftsman,
engraver, painter and a student of David.
“At this moment there emerged
one of those men who can stand above the whole scene, look
at the confused pieces of the jig-saw puzzle and see a way
of turning them into a pattern. He was Lavoisier, and it
is difficult not to believe that he towers above all the
rest and belongs to the small group of giants who have the
highest place in the story of the scientific revolution.” (Butterfield, The Origins of Modern Science, 1949, p.
Lavoisier’s revolutionary work
outlined in this book had as much impact on chemistry as
the French upheaval of the same year had on politics. This
is a fundamental work in the history of modern chemistry
containing a number of foundational ideas necessary to the
progress of chemistry. Several critical ideas that appear
in this book laid the firm foundation for Lavoisier’s
claim to the title as
“the father of modern chemistry”: (1) his use
of accurate measurement for chemical research by using a
balance with weight determinations being made at every possible
stage of chemical change, (2) his experimental research on
combustion which established that oxygen was the component
in air that combined with metals during combustion and his
naming of the resulting substances “oxides”,
(3) his exposition of the law of the conservation of mass,
proving that matter remains constant throughout all chemical
change and (4) his definitive reform of chemical nomenclature,
whereby every substance was named by an aggregate of its
In addition, Lavoisier finally established
the modern conception of elements as substances that cannot
be further decomposed. In this work, he identified twenty-three
such elements—all of which are still recognized as
such today. The broadest and most significant effect of Lavoisier’s
treatise was that it once and for all put to rest the phlogiston
theory (that had mislead scientists for over a century) and
destroyed any residual belief in alchemy.
Lavoisier had extremely wide scientific
interests, making important contributions to geography and
stratigraphy, and he was one of the first important scientists
to devote himself to public service. In spite of his decidedly
progressive and liberal political opinions, his post as Fermier
Général brought him to the guillotine in 1794.
This was perhaps the greatest single loss to France as well
as to science that was perpetrated during The Terror.
Printing and the Mind of Man 238; Dibner
Contemporary half-leather, tan boards
backed and cornered with sheep. The spines with gilt devices
and lettering with red and green morocco labels. Occasional
spotting and foxing. The lower margins of some plates a little
frayed, with plate XII lightly dampstained. Overall a rather
lovely copy making a handsome set.
8 Lower John Street
London W1F 9AU
+44 20 7734 2983
Erasmus, Desiderius. [Adagia:] Veterum maximeque insignium paroemiarum id
est adagiorum collectanea. Paris, Johann Philippi
(sold also by frères de Marnef), [shortly after
15 June] 1500.
4to. (200 x 137 mm.), 76 leaves (p4;
a-i8); title printed in red and black, with Philippi’s
woodcut printer’s device (Polain 151); text in roman,
with quotations in a Greek fount; gothic shoulder notes to
Erasmus’ poem “Prosopopeia Britanniae maioris” (see
below); one initial space with guide-letter; a clean, unwashed
copy, preserving several uncut lower edges, bound in nineteenth-century
maroon crushed morocco with the blind-stamped Stirling-Maxwell
device on covers, gilt edges, by Leighton.
First edition of the Adagia, Erasmus’
collection of proverbs and commentary, which began as a minor
local success and quickly grew - in content and popularity
- to become an international best-seller. Its impact
on literacy and learning in the Renaissance was immense.
It is Erasmus’
first real book, preceded only by the now unobtainable brief
poem De casa natalitia Iesu (two
Paris editions, 1495-, GW 9375-76, surviving in a total
of six copies).
Very rare. This is the only copy to
have appeared on the market since 1958 and is apparently
the last copy remaining in private hands. It is missing from
such major collections as the British Library, the Bodleian,
and the Royal Library at Brussels. The census of recorded
copies - just 21 in all - is as follows: (Britain:) Cambridge,
Manchester - JRL; (US:) Harvard, Newberry, Morgan; (Belgium:)
Ghent UB; (Germany: ) Freiburg i.Br. UB, Marburg UB, Offenburg
StB; (France:) Besançon BM, Charleville BM (imperfect),
Cherbourg BM, Orléans BM (2), Paris BN, Mazarine,
Sélestat BM; (Netherlands:) The Hague RL; (Sweden:)
Västerås; (Poland:) Wroclaw; (Slovakia:) Bratislava.
It is not easy for us today to recognize
how and why the Adagia achieved such success. It was instantly
devoured by a new genre of reader hungry for knowledge and
novelty. James Walsh describes it thus: “Erasmus’ Adagia has been called one of the world’s
biggest bedside books. It was certainly one of the most popular:
over sixty editions, in complete or epitomized form, are
recorded during Erasmus’
lifetime alone, and after his death the number increased.
From a comparatively small quarto containing 818 adages in
1500, the work grew, in the last edition published by Erasmus
himself, to a large folio containing 4151 in 1536. The book
is a collection of proverbs taken from classical authors,
both Greek and Latin, with sources given, translation of
the Greek into Latin, and a commentary by Erasmus, ranging
from a sentence or two to a full-length essay. For us, it
is in the commentary that the true originality and value
of the Adagia reside, but in its
time it was equally important in serving to open windows
upon the ancient world for that segment of the reading public
which had a little learning, passionate interest, but small
opportunity to get at texts. Public libraries did not exist,
books were expensive, and, in any case, many of the ancient
writers had not yet appeared in print. Thus a book like the Adagia,
bringing together selections from many otherwise unavailable
authors, found a ready market and performed a great service
to humanistic education.
“One of Erasmus’ great accomplishments
in the Adagia was to begin his
lifelong task of relating the past to the present and of
showing their continuity. Proverbs are timeless. We have
only to list a few treated by Erasmus to realize how much
a part of the common western heritage they are and how alive
his book still is: ‘God helps those who help themselves’; ‘To
put the cart before the horse’; ‘To be in the
‘To call a spade a spade’; ‘Like father,
like son’ - how many times have we all heard and used
these thrice-familiar tags, which, for all their familiarity,
yet reflect the accumulated wisdom of generations? Erasmus
himself describes them as glowing sparks of ancient wisdom
that illuminate the truth much more effectively than do the
philosophers” - Erasmus on the 500th anniversary of
his birth (Cambridge, Massachusetts, The Houghton Library,
1969), pp. 3-5, with illustration.
Erasmus conceived and wrote the book
in the aftermath of his visit to England in 1499 when he
first met Colet, More, and other early Tudor humanists. Before
he left he had been given a gift of money by his youthful
patron, Lord Mountjoy. But on arrival at the port of departure,
to his astonishment, most of this money was confiscated by
the customs officials, it being illegal to export English
currency. When he arrived in Paris he was broke and unwell,
and furthermore was worried that his patron, who had misinformed
him about his right to export the gift, would think that
Erasmus was now angry with him.
“I decided to publish something
forthwith. Having nothing at hand, I accumulated at random
from a few days’ reading some sort of a collection
of adages, guessing that this book, such as it was, might
find a welcome among those who wish to learn, at least for
its utility. This I used as evidence that my friendship had
not grown cold” (Ep 1341A: 603-8).
The result was quickly composed (Erasmus
says he dictated from his sickbed). At the beginning is a
7 pp. dedicatory letter to the young Lord Mountjoy, and at
the end are a letter addressed to Prince Henry of England
(Henry VIII, then a boy of nine years, whom Erasmus had met
on a visit with More to the royal children’s household
in Greenwich) and Erasmus’ Ode to England, Prosopopeia
Britanniae maioris, filling over five pages, the first appearance
of this poem.
Provenance: Ownership inscription “G.
Storck a Milano, 1798 ... No. 8569” (this is the Milanese
merchant and collector Giuseppe Storck, 1766-1836); subsequently
in the collection of Sir William Stirling Maxwell with his
armorial and “Keir Proverbs” bookplates, and
a bound in note in his hand of 4 Aug. 1873; subsequently
lot 804 of Christie’s sale 20-23 May 1958, bought by
Hain-Copinger 6663; GW 9374; Goff E101.
£200,000 (about $400,000)
PO Box 113
4130 EC Vianen
+31 347 322 548
Exquemelin, Alexandre Olivier. Historie der boecaniers, of vrybuyters van
America. Van haar
eerste beginzelen tot deze tegenwoordige tyd toe. Amsterdam,
Nicolaas ten Hoorn, 1700.
2 volumes in 1. 4to. Contemporary vellum
(sl. soiled; 1 hinge rep.). With
engraved title, folding engraved map
and 7 engraved plates (1 folding) by J.
Lamsvelt. (8),219; 136,(6) pp.
Second Dutch edition. - New and very
much altered edition of the first edition of 1678. The whole
second part is entirely new and intended for a continuation
to the first. Also the plates are new, they are nicely done
by J. Lamsvelt. ‘Little is known with certainty about
Exquemelin (1645- ca.1707) author of one of the most important
sourcebooks of seventeenth century piracy. Born about 1645,
it is likely that Exquemelin was a native of Harfleur in
France, who on his return from buccaneering settled in Holland,
possibly because he was a Hugenot. In 1666 he was engaged
by the French West India Company and went to Tortuga, where
he stayed for three years. There he enlisted with the buccaneers,
probably as a barber-surgeon, and remained with them until
1674. .. perhaps no book of the seventeenth century in any
language was ever the parent of so many imitations and the
source of so many fictions’ (CNMM IV, p.51). This famous
and popular book, The buccaneers of America, is the prototype
of an entire literature of books on pirates and buccaneers
in all languages up to the present day. ‘It is almost
the only comprehensive source of information for pirate activities
in the seventienth century’ (Howgego p.357). - (Age-browned).
Cat. NHSM II, p.878; Sabin 23469; Muller,
America, 580; CNMM IV, Piracy &
Privateering, 180; European Americana
IV, p.371; Hill 577-579 ‘classic of
all buccaneering books’.
3,950 euros (about $5,250)
Between the Covers Rare Books
35 W Maple Ave
Merchantville NJ 08109
Blackwell, Elizabeth, M.D. The
Laws of Life, With Special Reference to the Physical Education of Girls.
New York: George P. Putnam 1852. First Edition of the first book by America’s
first female doctor.
180pp. Bound in original gray-green blind-stamped
cloth, all edges stained red, spine sunned to green (as usual with
this cloth), small professional repair at bottom of spine resulting
in loss of part of “P” and all of “U” and “T” in
publisher’s name, original owner’s name in pencil on front free
endpaper, “Robert Porter” and dated 1852, name in pencil
repeated on page 63, else fine, a lovely copy of a scarce book that rarely
turns up on the open market. Elizabeth Blackwell’s text is developed
from a series of lectures she had given the previous spring and was published
just three years after she earned her medical degree. These themes were to
concern her throughout her life, which was spent trying to improve the lives
of other women.
In this radical (for the time) treatise, Blackwell goes
against the conventional wisdom of her contemporaries and advocates
physical fitness for girls and women. She points out that a healthy diet
is crucial for young girls as that will enable mental as well as physical
development. Her arguments for these healthy life changes range from
common sense to a citing of ancient Greek and Roman traditions. Elizabeth
Blackwell (1821-1910), born in England, became an American citizen and
was the first modern female to practice medicine in this country.
A member of an extraordinary family of reformers:
her sister Emily also practiced medicine; her sister Anna was a newspaper
correspondent, another sister, Ellen, was an author and artist. Her
brother Henry married Lucy Stone and Samuel married Antoinette Brown
Blackwell, first woman minister. Elizabeth opened the first U. S. hospital
run by women doctors, and, during the Civil War, helped form the Woman’s
Central Relief Association, spurring the formation of the U. S. Sanitary
Commission. “Going off at age twenty-one to a teaching position in
Kentucky, she realized that the traditional job with its inevitable
culmination in marriage and motherhood was not for her, and she began
consciously thinking about a way to avoid marriage in an era with virtually
no employment opportunities for women. She settled on the idea of becoming
a doctor - something that, for women, was wholly without precedent.”-
Her early medical career was a struggle against
great opposition. After rejection by about ten medical schools she
was accepted, as a joke (and startled the males by showing up), to
Geneva College in western New York, where she graduated at the head
of her class in 1849. In 1853 she opened a small clinic to treat mostly
poor people and in 1857 Elizabeth’s New York Infirmary for Women
and Children was established, with her physician-sister Emily and Dr.
In 1868, an outstanding medical college for women was
attached to the hospital - a dream long planned by Blackwell. Although a
U. S. citizen, Elizabeth Blackwell lived in England from 1869 onward,
had a successful practice, became a professor of gynecology at the new
London School of Medicine for Women, and wrote books. In England she
embraced Christian Socialism and called for “a more just distribution of
income, greater governmental efficiency, workers’ insurance, and the
establishment of agrarian communities by Christian joint-stock
companies.” NAW I, pp. 161-65. Hersh, THE SLAVERY OF SEX, p. 171.
Read & Witlieb, THE BOOK OF WOMEN’S FIRSTS, pp. 54-55.
Weatherford, AMERICAN WOMEN’S HISTORY. pp. 39-40. TIMELINES, pp. 145,
221, 222, 258.
607 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
[Queen Elisabeth of Romania (Carmen
Sylva)] ÂÈ ÍˆË˜ [On Life]. (1889–1890)
Oblong 32mo. 40 ff. A collection of
thoughts and prayers beautifully written and illuminated
on plates of ivory by Queen Elisabeth of Romania. Elisabeth,
whose nom de plume was Carmen Sylva, was of German origin,
the daughter of Hermann, Prince of Wied. In 1869 she married
Carol I, the first king of Romania, and immersed herself
in Romanian culture.
A prolific and respected author who
penned numerous poems, operas, and fairy tales, she could
write in several languages including German, Romanian, English,
and, as in the case of this book, French. Elisabeth was also
a talented artist, and the work contains a number of intricate
illuminations depicting both flowers and Judeo-Christian
iconography. The book measures over 2 ? inches thick, and
is bound in ivory, with a chainmail spine. Each cover is
edged with a thick strip of silver with metalwork arabesques
extending in from the edges and corners. The front cover
bears the title, On Life, in Greek,
the letters constructed out of shaped silver forms inlaid
with genuine diamonds. The large script
“E” on the silver fore-edge clasp is likewise
set with diamonds, and bears the hallmark of the Roumanian
silversmith, Resch. The inside of each cover bears an ornate
frame of metalwork, with “Elisabeth 1889” engraved
on the inside of the top board and “Carmen Sylva 1890” on
the inside of the bottom board. The forty ivory leaves are
all edged both front and back with a strip of silver, and
are attached to the binding by a strip of chain so as to
move independently. This binding was likely executed by Resch,
a silversmith in Bucharest that was contracted to make the
medal for the Order of the Star of Roumania. This binding
serves as a fitting complement to Elizabeth’s painstakingly
executed writing and illumination inside. This is quite literally
a book fit for a queen. Housed in a felt-lined wood box with
a sliding top panel. Very fine.
Chapel Hill Rare Books
P.O. Box 456
Carrboro, NC 27510
[Confederate Imprint]. Lea, James W.,
Capt. “To Arms! To Arms! Your Country
Calls! Sixty Volunteers Wanted…” [N.p.,
1862]. Broadside measuring approximately 7.5 by 11.5 inches.
Folds, else near fine.
First printing. Unrecorded; not in Parrish
& Willingham, Hummel, Thornton, NUC, or any available
reference. This rare recruiting broadside calls for sixty
volunteers for service in Company K of the 6th North Carolina
Infantry, also known as the “Bloody Sixth.” The
Bloody Sixth participated in all of the major campaigns in
the East, from First Manassas to Fort Stedman.
Early in the war the unit was attached
to the corps of Stonewall Jackson, under whom it served with
distinction at Mechanicsville, Second Manassas, Harper’s
Ferry, Sharpsburg, and Fredericksburg. In January 1863, the
Bloody Sixth was transferred to Early’s Division in
Longstreet’s Corps. It helped to hold off the federal
assault on Mary’s Heights while Lee engaged Hooker
at Chancellorsville. During the Battle of Gettysburg, the
Bloody Sixth was positioned on the left flank of Lee’s
army. On the second day of the battle it fought its way toward
Culp’s Hill, only to break off the attack for lack
of support. The following November the regiment was decimated
in an engagement at Rappahannock Bridge, suffering a loss
of almost 350 men killed, wounded, or captured. The Bloody
Sixth later took part in the most severe fighting of the
Wilderness Campaign, including the brutal combat at Cold
In June 1864, Early was assigned to
stop Sheridan’s march up the Shenandoah Valley, and
the 6th N.C. fought at Winchester, Fisher’s Hill, and
Cedar Creek. The unit surrendered with Lee at Appomattox,
reduced to only 181 men. Its losses were among the greatest
of any single unit in the Confederate army.
Among the terms mentioned in this extraordinary
broadside are a $50 bounty to be given in addition to the
regular pay and a stipulation that soldiers will be supplied
with arms, clothing, and other necessary equipment free of
charge. The broadside is signed in type by
“Capt. Jas. W. Lea,” who has apparently signed
it in manuscript above his name and has written at the bottom:
“State Bounty 15.00.” James W. Lea, appointed
captain on May 16, 1861, resigned from the army on July 26,
1862, by reason of “physical feebleness, a constitutional
disposition to tubercular disease, and the loss of the use
of one of his hands” (Manarin IV, 380).
Recruiting broadsides are among the
rarest Confederate material on the market, and are almost
impossible to find in collectible condition.
Joseph J. Felcone
Post Office Box 366
Princeton, NJ 08542
[First Medical Book Printed in America]
Culpeper, Nicholas. Pharmacopoeia Londinensis;
or, The London Dispensatory further Adorned by the Studies
and Collections of the Fellows now Living, of the said College...
Boston: Printed by John Allen, for Nicholas
Booone [sic], Daniel Henchman, and John Edwards, 1720. 8vo.
, 305,  p. Contemporary sprinkled sheepskin, covers
tooled in blind with a decorative roll and a two-line fillet
in a panelled design with a blind ornament stamped diagonally
at each corner, decorative blind roll on board edges. A remarkable
copy, in superb condition: the binding is fresh and perfect
and untouched, all original binder’s blanks are present,
and the text exhibits very little of the foxing and browning
inherent in all early American books. With the contemporary
signature “Daniel Mathewson his Book.” Modern
book label. In a handsome full leather folding box.
First American edition. The first herbal
printed in North America as well as the first full-length
medical book printed in North America. An extraordinarily
well-preserved copy in a flawless period binding. The earliest
known medical work printed in North America is a 1678 Boston
broadside, Thomas Thatcher’s /A Brief Rule to Guide
the Common People of New-England ... in the Small Pocks or
Measles/, known by one copy. Following this, and also known
by one copy, is a 1708 Boston printing of Culpeper’s
The English Physician, a 94-page pamphlet. Of the present
work there are several institutional copies, but the book
is exceedingly rare in trade: we know of but one copy, and
in marginally acceptable condition, in the market in the
last twenty years.
The running-title of Culpeper’s
book is “The Physitians Library,” and the work
is essentially a medical encyclopedia, containing descriptions
and medicinal properties of roots, barks, herbs, flowers,
seeds, etc. While most subjects are covered, particular attention
is paid to therapeutics. The book “enjoyed a wide popularity
in the colonies, perhaps because of its Puritan slant and
its bias toward the household treatment of illness.”—Norman.
A cornerstone early American book, and an extraordinarily
fine copy. Austin 591; Guerra a-48; Evans 2114; Garrison-Morton
1828.2; Norman 542 (this copy).
The Fine Books Company
781 E. Snell Road
Rochester, MI 48306
Brown, Fred. Fermented
Ink—Ten Poems. (N.p.), ca. 1932. First
edition, just about fine in string bound wraps, as issued.
The author’s exceedingly rare
first book. Produced in an unknown quantity (perhaps 100
copies), this very fragile self-published work is both numbered
(#71) and signed by the author, here using his full name:
Fred William Brown. The obvious cornerstone work for anyone
collecting this author. Along with Shadow
Suite, being fifteen poems, fine in wraps. Dated 1932,
this second book of poetry is typed and not printed. In all
likelihood, it is unique and was never published. (I have
never seen any other surviving copy of this book. To the
best of my knowledge, a copy was not to be found in the collections
of Gerry de la Ree, Forrest Ackerman, nor Sam Moskowitz;
three collectors who between them most likely had every conceivable
work by every author of the science fiction and fantasy genre.
No copies located in either the NUC nor OCLC. This may well
be your only chance to acquire these rarities. $5,000
49 Clifford Avenue
London SW14 7BW
+44 20 8876 7424
Churchill, Winston Spencer. A Collection of Churchill First Editions,
Bound by Bayntun. One Volume Signed.
The Story of the
Malakand Field Force, 1898. The
River War.2 volumes, 1899. Savrola,
1900. London to Ladysmith via Pretoria,
1900. Ian Hamilton’s March, 1900. Lord
Randolph Churchill (signed by Churchill in 1907)
2 volumes, 1906. My African Journey,
1908. Liberalism and the Social Problem, 1909. The
World Crisis. 6 volumes, 1923–31. My Early Life, 1930. Thoughts and Adventures, bound with Painting
as a Pastime, 1932. Marlborough.His Life and Times. 4 volumes, 1933–38. Great
Contemporaries, 1937. Arms and the Covenant, 1938. Step
by Step, 1939. The War Speeches.
7 volumes in 6, 1941–46. Maxims and Reflections, 1947. The
Second World War. 6 volumes, 1948–54. A History of the English Speaking Peoples. 4 volumes,
1956–58. The Post War Speeches. 5 volumes.1948–1961.
All first U.K. editions, bar one—the
first volume of Marlborough, which is the reprint from the
same month as first published. 49 volumes bound in 47. Finely
bound by Bayntun of Bath in mid twentieth century half blue
morocco. Spines with raised bands, gilt. Compartments ruled
and lettered in gilt. Blue cloth on boards. Top edges gilt.
Marbled endpapers. The last volume of post war speeches has
been expertly bound to match by Aquarius binders.
The fact that this volume was missing
from the set suggests that the books were bound after 1958,when
the last volume of History of the English
Speaking Peoples was published, but before 1961 when
this volume was issued.
A very good clean,attractive set with
some uniform fading of the spines.A lovely collection of
all the major works of Winston Churchill,all but one volume
in 1st edition, 1st impression state, with the added bonus
of an early inscription on one of the earlier works. $50,000.00
136 East 74th Street
New York, NY 10021
212 744 3505
Jefferson, Thomas (1743–1826,
compiler). Nathaniel Peabody Poor (auctioneer). Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library. A
Catalogue of the extensive and valuable Library of the late
President Jefferson, (copied from the original MS., in his
hand-writing, as arranged by himself,) to be sold at auction,
at the Long Room, Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington City, by
Nathaniel P. Poor, on the [27th] February, 1829.
Washington: printed by Gales and Seaton,
1829. p. title (with time and date of sale added in contemporary
manuscript in appropriate blank spaces,) p. 
‘Catalogue,’ pp.[15-16] blank. Stitched (as issued),
within modern full blue straight-grained morocco box. Provenance:
Early ink manuscript marks beside 24 lots; Eric Sexton.
The Sexton copy of this famous catalogue
of Jefferson’s ‘second’ library: a rare
and important Jefferson and American bibliographical item,
from the collection of one of the greatest 20th-century American
Aside from his many other talents, Thomas
Jefferson was one of the first great American book collectors.
This is the catalogue of Jefferson’s final library,
assembled after the sale of his earlier and larger collection
to the Library of Congress in 1815. The catalogue reflects
Jefferson’s insatiable appetite for books and a broad
diversity of interests. Many of the books listed herein came
into Jefferson’s possession via his friend and fellow
signer of the Declaration of Independence, George Wythe,
who left Jefferson his library. Jefferson had originally
intended this collection to go to the University of Virginia,
but the condition of his estate at the time of his death
made it necessary to sell the books.
The catalogue is an almost word-for-word
reprint of Jefferson’s own manuscript catalogue (now
in the Library of Congress,) and also reprints Jefferson’s
classification chart of the library, by subject (this is
printed on the verso of the title.) The differences between
the manuscript and the present catalogue are slight: the
sale consisted of 931 lots, whilst the final item in the
manuscript is numbered 940, and the manuscript chart is indexed
by page number, while the printed version is indexed by lot
number. In all, this represents a valuable record of what
was certainly one of the finest American libraries of its
day. A copy of this catalogue realized $15,400 at auction
several years ago.
American Imprints 39131; McKay 226;
OCLC 1840170 & 83846058; Streeter Sale 1731.
(#19260). $ 18,500.
8540 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90069
Austen, Jane. Sense
and Sensibility. London: 1811.
First edition of Jane Austen’s
first novel. Three twelvemo volumes. Complete with half-titles
and the final blank in volume III.
Uncut, in the original drab blue-gray
boards with gray-green paper spines and original pink paper
spine labels. Volume I with small stain on front board, splits
at joints, and a 0.5 inch loss at foot of spine. Volume II
split at front joint, slight loss at head of spine. volume
III front joint split, front bottom corner slightly bumped,
some further general light chipping or rubbing to extremities
of covers and labels. Text remarkably fresh, with only occasional
trivial foxing. A beautiful copy, totally uncut and unsophisticated
and very rare thus. Housed in chemises and a blue morocco-backed
To find this title in its original state,
“as issued,” is nowadays just about impossible.
Highly sought after, this nearly 200-year-old book is usually
only available in a binding rarely (strictly) contemporary
and mostly wanting the half-titles. In checking through the
auction records of American Book Prices Current, we did not
locate any other copy in original boards, unrepaired, apart
from this one (Christie’s South Kensington, 28 July
1978, lot 105). The Jerome Kern copy, which sold at Sotheby’s
New York in December 2001 was rebacked, with portions of
the original spine laid down.
“Sensibility” novels had
been in vogue for several decades before Jane Austen put
quill to paper. They were usually written in epistolary form,
and indeed Jane Austen’s early drafts were epistolary,
but she soon found her “voice,” and Sense
and Sensibility achieved new heights in literary style.
Altogether sharper, wittier, and consequently
more accessible to readers, then and now. It is an undoubted
monument to the genre and a landmark in the development of
The edition size is unknown, but Keynes
estimated it may have been 1,000, or even as few as 750 copies,
the smallest print run of any of Jane Austen’s novels.
Gilson A1. Keynes, Austen, 1.
1200 Edgehill Drive
Burlingame, CA 94010
Equal Rights for Sephardic Jews of France in 1790] Lettres
Patentes Du Roi. (Letters Patent of the King.
that those Jews known in France as Portuguese, Spanish
and Avignonese Jews will continue to enjoy the rights
of active citizens) Bordeaux, France: chez Michel Racle,
Imprimeur de l’Intendance, [January 28] 1790.
Broadside measures 21 by 15 inches, with royal coat
of arms insignia at top of sheet. Folds and age toning
present with evidence of nail holes consistent with
this notice having once been tacked up for public posting.
Overall, very good condition.
The earliest proclamation in Europe
of equal rights for Jews: On August 27, 1789 a newly created
French National Assembly opened the doors to the French Revolution
by approving “The Declaration of the Rights of Man.” Though
freedom and equality were demanded of
“all men” they curiously did not include Jews.
It was not until six months later that King Louis XVI under
political pressure issued this open letter patent dated January
28, 1790 granting equal rights to Jews, but only those of
“Louis, by the grace of God and
the constitutional Law of the State decrees All the Portuguese,
Spanish, and Avignonese Jews will continue to enjoy those
rights which they have enjoyed up until now, and which are
sanctioned in their favor by the Lettres Patents; consequently
they will enjoy the rights of active citizens, when they
fulfill the conditions required by the Assembly’s decrees.”
On the eve of the Revolution approximately
40,000 Jews were living in France. Those of Spanish and Portuguese
extraction had been living quietly among the southern population,
including Bordeaux and Avignon, since the end of the 15th
century. They had integrated for survival, spoke French and
were less observant in religious ritual, in some cases pretending
to be “New Christians.” The Ashkenazim, on the
other hand, were concentrated in Paris and Alsace in the
north of France and spoke mainly Yiddish. This may explain
why the Marranos were granted equality by the King a full
year before their fellow Ashkenazim.
After the great expulsion of 1492, European
Jews had lived in a constant state of upheaval and insecurity
but they did not vanish. England’s Oliver Cromwell
readmitted them in 1655 and The Jewish Naturalization Act
of 1753 finally granted citizenship but not political rights
as these were still restricted by oath requirements. Surprisingly
Jews were not fully protected as citizens of the United States
until 1824 when the Jew Bill in Maryland was enacted.
24 Hart Street
Henley on Thames
Oxon RG9 2AU
+44 1491 576427
Lawrence, T. E. The
Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Privately Printed for
the Author, 1926
First (or Cranwell) edition, published
for subscribers. One of 170 “complete” copies,
inscribed and initialed by Lawrence “Complete copy,
1.xii.26. T.E.S.” on page XIX , the author’s
holograph emendation to the attribution of “The gad-fly” plate.
As issued with the “The Prickly Pear” plate but
not the two Paul Nash illustrations. Publisher’s full
red morocco by De Coverly with elaborate gilt arabesques
to the covers and raised bands with gilt decoration to the
spine. All edges gilt. Endpapers by Eric Kennington. Frontispiece
of King Feysal by Augustus John, 65 plates (mostly color)
and 58 text illustrations by John, Kennington, Williams Roberts,
Paul Nash, Blair Hughes-Stanton, William Nicholson and others.
Four fold-out colour maps (two maps duplicated). A superb
fine copy both internally and externally.
Two Autograph Letters
by Lawrence to Everard Feilding, a friend and
helper in the Arab Campaign who is mentioned by Lawrence
in The Seven Pillars. Both letters are one
side of letter paper and surround Feilding’s purchase
of this copy of the of The Seven Pillars. The first, dated “26.
x. 26.”, details the difference between the two
states of the Cranwell edition (complete and incomplete
copies), “1) The books complete text, with only
a few of the coloured plates, is available for some
people mentioned in it (you amongst them) gratis. I
have 50 copies in this state... 2) The complete text,
with about 50 coloured plates, is for sale at 30 guineas.
The subscription lists were closed months back. I can
get you a copy, but not easily...” The second
letter, presumably follows Feilding’s reply requesting
of option 2, “Very well. Far be it from me to
refuse a millionaire!” and gives details of Lawrence’s
bank and this “Seven Pillars Acct.”
Shaw, T. E. Some
Notes on the Writing of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom. (The
Author, 1927) First edition. Single-fold leaflet. Fine. “About
200 copies distributed to subscribers of Seven Pillars
of Wisdom” (O’Brian A039). All housed in
a custom made quarter morocco, clamshell case.
The author’s magnum opus and famous
account of his part in the Arab Revolt of 1916. The Seven Pillars was originally intended
to be a simple account of the travels round seven great cities
of the East, that Lawrence made in his pursuit of his interest
in Middle-Eastern archaeology. The manuscript, written in
1913 was supposedly destroyed at the outbreak of the first
world war. With his understanding of the Middle East and
the Arabs, Captain Lawrence soon found himself working with
military intelligence in Cairo and liaising between the British
and Arab forces, which lead to him helping to unite Arab
forces in support of the British strategy in the region and
ultimately co-coordinating successful campaigns against the
His account, which originally ran to
over 400,000 words was printed by the Oxford
Times in 1922, and the positive response given to
the text by Lawrence’s friends lead him to consider
publishing it to a wider audience. Lawrence never considered
the text to be suitable for or of interest to the public
at large and so made it available only to friends and acquaintances
by subscription to this Cranwell edition.
Lawrence supervised the production at
every stage and extravagantly had each copy bound in a different
way by leading fine binders of the day (an act that virtually
Lawrence vowed that the text would not
be made publicly available in his lifetime, however, of financial
necessity he authorized Jonathan Cape to publish a heavily
abridged and sanitized version under the title of Revolt in the Desert, in 1927, which stirred
public interest to induce Cape to publish most of the full
text within two months of Lawrence’s death in 1935.
It became an immediate bestseller with 100,000 copies sold
in the remainder of that year alone, and has since gone on
to be one of the most influential and highly regarded pieces
of military and literary prose of the twentieth century.
Churchill was of the opinion, “It
ranks with the greatest books written in the English language.”
The Hon. Everard Feilding, younger brother
of the Duke of Flint and noted psychic investigator (and
the basis for Lord Anthony Bowling in Alistair Crowley’s The Moonchild), was also involved with military
intelligence in Egypt in the First World War. It was there
that he met Lawrence, who refers to him at the beginning
of chapter LVIII of The Seven Pillars:
“... Arabia ships were esteemed by number of funnels,
and the EURYALUS, with four, was exceptional in ships. Her
great reputation assured the mountains that we were indeed
the winning side: and her huge crew, by the prompting of
Everard Feilding, for fun built us a good pier.”
11 Goose Fair
Kennebunkport, ME 04046
Vollmann, William T. Book
of Candles. Sacramento, CA: Co-Tangent Press,
Artist’s book / First Edition, one of 10
copies, each signed by the author / artist, William T. Vollmann on a page
of the text as well as in the box housing the book. Page size: 19 inches x
16 inches; 75pp; (2pp. per folio sheet, 32 sheets in all + 2 unnumbered
double-page spreads). The text is a suite of eight religious and
blasphemous love-poems to prostitutes and was composed in the Philippines
in 1995 and relief-printed on Rives de Lin paper by the author over a
period of years (1997–2003). The text is previously unpublished and
there are no immediate plates to publish the poems in any other edition.
The text blocks were photo-etched magnesium plates as
were some of the illustrations. Other illustrations were woodcuts done in
Thailand and Cambodia on Chinese ulo wood. These were colored a la poupee
and further hand colored with watercolors and acrylics. Housed in a
sailcloth-covered basswood clamshell box which the artist / author has
painted, collaged with hand-painted woodblock prints, and suitably adorned
with gewgaws. The outside dimensions of the box are 31 inches high x 24
inches wide x 2.5 inches deep. The woodcut image on the underside of each
box is different. Four Japanese “doughnut hold” coins have been
screwed in to the underside of the box to comprise protective feet. Inside
each box, a narrow channel, collaged with painted paper, runs around three
edges, leaving the spine side open. Within this are set two wooden corner
blocks mounted with selenium-splotched flower-engraved brass plates, a
strip of painted walnut engraved with a print of a female nude, two
engraved beeswax candles on engraved brass supports wrapped round with
brass wire. Even the brass screws of these assemblies are engraved and
rubbed with oil-based ink. On the inside of the spine are one engraved and
inked aluminum plate and one engraved and inked brass plate which is signed
and numbered. This is certainly the most labor-intensive project undertaken
so far by William T. Vollmann’s Co-Tangent Press but it is also the
William T. Vollmann, awarded the National Book Award
in 2005 for his novel, EUROPE CENTRAL, has created a book unlike anything
else we’ve seen. The box and the woodcuts are hand-painted as well as
printed making each copy of the book unique. The naive aspect of the art of
this “journal” brings to mind Gauguin’s NOA NOA, which
was a book for the 19th century. This is most definitely a book for the
21st century. Using the sexual metaphor of male subjugation of women for
the West’s exploitation of the more “primitive” East,
Vollmann creates imagery that we ignore at our peril. The beauty of the
prints, which includes the vibrant colors, lead the reader / viewer to
understand that a less sophisticated life has a beauty that cannot be
235 Main Street, Suite 510
White Plains, NY 10601
Jefferson, Thomas. Autograph Letter Signed as President. Jefferson
on Barbary pirates’ tribute demands, planning a limited
Mediterranean war, noting that
“neither economy nor prudence permits to keep in actual
service all the force which might be necessary in the worst
state of things.” Signed as President on Feb. 23, 1803.
Chaim Kline, Bookseller
P.O. Box 829
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Ziegler, Hans Severus. Entartete Musik: Eine Abrechnung von Staatrat Dr. Hans
Severus Ziegler. Generalintendant des Deutschen Nationaltheaters
zu Weimar. Düsseldorf: Völkischer Verlag
G.m.b.H., 1938. 8vo. 32pp. Illustrated throughout.
Hans Severus Ziegler (1893-1978) was
a German publicist, NS official and theater director. A strong
supporter of the Nazi ideology from the very beginning, he
founded the journal Der Völkische in
1924. It later became a daily journal by the title Der
Nationalsozialist. Upon his suggestion (while serving
as Gauleiter for Thuringia), the Nazi Youth movement was
named Hitlerjugend. In 1930 Ziegler formulated a degree titled “Wider
(against the Negro culture). After the war, Ziegler continued
to work as a theater director, actor and as a private teacher.
He kept publishing, mostly in the Neo-Nazi scene. Ziegler
died unmarried and without children in Bayreuth in 1978.
On the exhibition: In 1936, Severus
was appointed as general director of the Nationaltheater
(national theater) of Weimar. Inspired by the Munich exhibition
Entartete Kunst, and in the context of the Reichsmusiktage
in Dusseldorf (celebrating Richard Wagner’s 125th birthday),
Severus organized an exhibition entitled Entartete Musik,
whereby he polemicized against music and musicians that were
considered degenerate by the Nazis, mainly jazz and Jewish
musicians. Among the speakers at the opening was propaganda
minister Joseph Goebbels. Richard Strauss composed a festliches
Vorspiel specifically for this event, which he conducted.
While Goebbels wanted the music event and the exhibition
to become a permanent institution, his plans were not realized
due to the outbreak of WWII in 1939.
On the brochure: The original exhibition
in 1938 did not have a catalogue. What did exist, however,
was an illustrated brochure, in which Hans Severus Ziegler’s
speech was reprinted. (The present book). The cover of this
brochure shows “Negermusiker Johnny,” a character
from the opera Jonny spielt auf by
the Czech-Austrian musician Ernst Krenek (1900-1991). It
depicts a black musician playing the saxophone. However,
it replaced the flower on the tuxedo’s lapel with a
star of David. Also, the face is disproportionately big (in
contrast to the tuxedo). This illustration seemed to personify
what the Nazis defined as “degenerate:” A Jewish
Negro who combines the primitiveness of the jungle with European
culture. Furthermore, it reminded the Nazis of Ernst Krenek’s
successful opera, which they disdained. The brochure is illustrated
throughout with many b/w photographs of
“degenerate” musicians like Schoenberg, Alban
Berg, etc. In German. In fine condition.
W. Knott, Jr., Bookseller
8453 Early Bud Way
Laurel, MD 20723
Caspary, Vera. Laura.
Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1943.
First edition. Basis for the classic
film noir directed by Otto Preminger and starring Gene Tierney,
Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, and Vincent Price. A very good
copy, some age fading to spine and upper and lower edges.
In a very good dust jacket with rubbing to front corners
and spine fold, rubbing to heel of spine panel, affecting
the lettering of
“Company,” rubbing and chipping to head of spine
panel affecting title lettering, spine ends re-enforced on
the verso with cello-tape; some small closed tears. Scarce
in dust jacket. $10,000
301 North Harrison St, Box 900
Princeton, NJ 08540
(also exhibiting at the PADA show)
[Mozart] [The Sequel to the Magic Flute]
Winter, Peter von (1754–1825). Die Zauberfloete zweiter Theil: Das Labyrinth,
oder der Kampf mit den Elementen... Bonn: N.
Vocal score, engraved, oblong folio.
PN 86. 2ff., pp. 3–201, [202 publisher’s catalog].
Title-page illustrated by Koch. Worming in the gutter towards
the end, otherwise very good. Contemporary boards. Second
edition. CPM 61 p. 381. Loewenberg 54. First published in
Vienna, 1798. Opera in 2 acts, libretto by E. Schikaneder,
written as a sequel to Die Zauberflöte,
first performed on June 12, 1798 at the Theater auf der Wieden.
All of the principal characters return in this sequel. Very
the only copy we’ve seen on the market in over thirty-five
David M. Lesser, Fine Antiquarian Books
One Bradley Road, #302
Woodbridge, CT 06525
[Crandall, Reuben]. The Trial of Reuben Crandall, M.D. Charged with Publishing
and Circulating Seditions and Incendiary Papers,
&C. in the District of Columbia, with the Intent
of Exciting Servile Insurrection. Carefully Reported, and
Compiled from the Written Statements of the Court and Counsel.
By a Member of the Bar.
Washington City: Printed for the Proprietors.
1836. 48 pp, disbound. Title leaf with a lower margin spot,
light dusting, and a few blank foremargin chips. Widely scattered
light foxing, Good+ or better.
The case is an excellent illustration
of pro-slavery forces’ reliance on government to restrict
free speech and a free press as the means of stifling criticism
of slavery and diminishing the circulation of abolitionist
literature. This pamphlet calls the trial of Crandall, a
Washington D.C. physician and brother of the Connecticut
abolitionist Prudence Crandall, “the first case of
a man charged with endeavoring to excite insurrection among
slaves and the free colored population that was ever brought
before a judicial tribunal...No trial has ever occurred more
important to travellers from the North, or to the domestic
peace of the inhabitants of the Southern States.”
Crandall had allegedly caused the distribution
of anti-slavery literature. Francis Scott Key, U.S. attorney
for the District of Columbia and author of the Star Spangled
Banner, indicted him for seditious libel. An advocate of
colonization, Key hated, like many of his fellows in the
American Colonization Society, abolition and the Anti-Slavery
Societies whose literature was flooding the South. He opposed
bail; Crandall languished in jail for eight months until
trial. The pamphlet contains summaries of the indictment,
evidence, testimony, and arguments of counsel. Key bitterly
attacked the Anti-Slavery Societies and the dangers and strife
they provoked; Crandall’s counsel argued, not only
the government’s failure to prove the allegations of
the indictment, but the injustice of slavery. The jury acquitted
Crandall after “a short deliberation.”
McCoy C627. Finkelman 166. LCP 2787.
II Harv. Law Cat. 1053. Marke 984. Dumond 45. AI 36951 .